Welcome to Brown Sugar Backpackers Johannesburg, South Africa
Brown Sugar Backpackers provides low budget, clean, comfortable and safe accommodation to all types of guests from the single traveller, families, pensioners, student, school and sport groups, business people and companies from all over the globe. The business intent to make enough profit to ensure a rewarding and satisfactory working environment for its employees and to finance continued growth and development towards the accommodation, facilities and extended services on offer to our guests. We maintain a friendly, fair and creative work environment, which respects diversity, cultures, new ideas, hard work and reward performance through commissions and bonuses. Job satisfaction is important and guarantees the low staff turnover.
To provide affordable, clean and safe accommodation with related services within a friendly, fair and creative environment and cater for all cultures and respect the diversity.
"I am what I am because of who we all are."
Trust - Caring - Sharing - Respect - Community - Helpfulness - Unselfishness
Brown Sugar Backpackers is one of the most popular hostels in Johannesburg that went through extensive renovations since 2005 when the new owner took over. Brown Sugar Backpackers has been in business since 1998 with many travellers from all over the world streaming back to this popular “Ex-Mafia Mansion” where the backpackers moved in after the mafia moved out. The hostel looks like a castle with many private patios, balconies and quite areas with breathtaking views, large trees, beautiful gardens, active bird life and sparkling swimming pool. We are situated in a leafy South Eastern suburb of Johannesburg on 3000 square meters of land rising up the hill.
We have safe and secure off street parking with access control for vehicles and pedestrians. It is safe for our guests to walk to the shops during the day or they can make use our cheap shuttle services to and from the shops. We are close to an international shopping mall with many shops, restaurants and we are close to pubs and bars. The city centre is about 6km from the hostel with cheap public transport about 200m from the gate.
We cater for all types of travellers from individuals, students, volunteers, families and small to large groups. We offer all types of accommodation from camping nest to the swimming pool to private en suites and dormitories. Please note that we are not wheelchair friendly as we have an elevated property with many levels and steps. We are a non smoking hostel but have many patios, verandas and outdoor areas where you can smoke. We do not allow smoking inside the rooms or any other area inside the hostel.
"Some say.....I am in AFRICA,
the truth is .....AFRICA is in me"
FREEBIES included with your room or bed rates when you stay with us
- Free PICK UP from OR Tambo International Airport or Park Station (Local bus and train station) between 07h00 and 22h00. Camping guests must be 2 (two) or more (See the *Terms & Conditions below to qualify for the free pick up)
- Free scrumptious BREAKFAST
- Free Wi-Fi and INTERNET stations
- Free DAY and LONG term STORAGE (up to 10 days)
- Free TEA and COFFEE for paying guests
- Free off street PARKING
- BEDDING provided (Linen and blankets), camping excluded
- BATH TOWELS provided for private rooms only and rental option for dorms and camping
Excluded: The above Freebies will be excluded for ALL group bookings, agents or persons that already received discounted packages or rates, unless specified or included on their booking
"WHERE MORE PEOPLE HAVE SLEPT WITH US"
Terms and Conditions for FREE PICKUP SERVICE
1. The FREE pick up is valid from Monday to Sunday for 1-4 passengers between 07h00 and 22h00 for all paying guests that stay a minimum of ONE night with Brown Sugar Backpackers.** EXCLUDED: Single (1) person for CAMPING (Free pick up for TWO or more campers) and guests and groups of 5 (five) or more passengers.
2. If you have booked a PRIVATE ROOM for TWO (2) or more guests we offer ONE free pick up per room for sharing guests. Should you arrive on separate flights or on different dates; the second or other guests will be charged ZAR150 for the pickup.
3. You CAN’T exchange your free pick up for a free drop off at any time. We charge for the drop off and all other transfers. We offer cheap shuttles to the nearby shops on a daily basis.
4. If your flight is delayed or arrives between 22h00 and 06h59 and you are not prepared to wait for our driver until 07h00, we suggest that you book an UBER or take a meter taxi to Brown Sugar Backpackers, which will be for your own account. Alternatively: We charge a flat rate of ZAR350 for all transfers between 23h00 and 07h00. This offer is subject to the availability of one of our drivers that is prepared to work overtime or outside their normal working hours, which is safe and they will bring you directly to the hostel without any delays or problems.
5. If you cancel your accommodation within 24-hours after arrival; we reserve the right to charge you ZAR350 for the free transfer or pickup service provided, if you made use of this service.
6. The transfer back to the airport, park station or any other destination in and around Johannesburg is not free and will be charged at the set rates that are linked to the petrol or fuel prices and you may not exchange your free pickup for a free drop off, if you arrive at Brown Sugar in any other way or drop off.
GUESTS IN TRANSIT that does not want to hang around the airport, do not want to sleep over and need to refresh, can make use of the following SPECIAL offer at ZAR400 per person that INCLUDES the following services:
(1) A pick up from OR Tambo International Airport (2) You can relax in the common TV lounge or other public areas where you can listen to music, watch TV take a swim or just catch up on your e-mails or surf the FREE internet or Wi-Fi (3) You can sleep or rest in one of the dorm beds, if we have space available (4) You may take a shower or freshen up before you leave (5) A transfer back to OR Tambo Airport and book a breakfast, pub lunch or dinner at the set rates